Sunday, May 20, 2012

23 + 24.

Day 23 and 24 of my 30 day challenge.


Day 23 was mellow - recovery day! While it may not truly count, I spent all day on my feet, strolled in the neighborhood, and walked to work. And, in typical Elane fashion, I showed up to Lulu pouring sweat with fro hair despite my attempt to arrive somewhat decent. Whoops.


Day 24. A day of cancellations and changes in plans has turned itself into one of the best sweats ever.


I started with an early morning drive to the beach with my cousin, Chloe. We pulled up to bootcamp and, instead of seeing 300+ people playing dodgeball in the sand, we witnessed barricades and hundreds of runners racing the Santa Monica classic. With the insane blocked off roads, crowded beach, and a cancelled bootcamp - and an impromptu workout was created instead.


Instead of turning around and heading home, we made our way to the shoreline and began walking. The beach was incredibly calm and quiet...reminding me that I need to hit the waves around 8am more often. We barely even noticed that we had made it all the way to muscle beach in Venice before turning around and heading back towards the pier.


Next - and in perfect timing, my best and oldest friend, Genny gave me a call. I had just enough time to put on my running shoes and join her at Power Yoga in Santa Monica for a 10:30am class. 


This studio was completely different than anything I've experienced before. No boutique-y waiting room... no candles...no oil scented studio. It was legit. An old ballet studio converted into a bleak and no frills yoga space. 


With all the windows closed, about 100 people practicing, and your neighbors toes about 10 inches away from your face - the class got intimate and sweaty fast. Something about the whole experience felt more raw and real than other places I have been. There was a very Berkeley-ish vibe to the entire scene. 


With that said, the class was one of the hardest I've ever taken. I was, literally, drinking the sweat that was pouring down my face (and the room, I remind you, was not heated). I almost wish I had had a camera to capture the intensity in the room...I couldn't help but watch the others around me shake, tremble, stretch, sigh, and close their eyes as they tried to hold each pose. You could literally see the thousands of beads of sweat forming on everyone as the air thickened with moisture. 


WIth that said, the intensity broke for a minute when the instructor came over to me. He adjusted my feet, gave me some pointers, and then bluntly asked if this was my first class.


Whoops. 


I thought I did pretty damn well for a beginner. 


post yoga farmer's market. Very LA day :)



3 comments:

  1. It was a great day.. so glad that you could make it to yoga with me! and i look like a crazy bag lady at the farmers market. whoops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look awesome. Guess all the hard work is paying off

    ReplyDelete
  3. Day 23: more yoga! This time it was a hot power class. Kicked my butt!

    ReplyDelete