Monday, April 23, 2012

Come on...Just a Little Goldfish....

I've been getting a lot of questions recently about my nutrition and how I have been eating this week. Anyone who knows me is aware that I am obsessed with food- a GIANT foodie- and I can only laugh at the concerned looks I've gotten from a few people. Me - cutting out food? Guys... I'm the one awkwardly asking the waiter for about... 6 baskets of bread before the food arrives. You know you've all seen me do it. My purse is filled with snacks. Come on.


Let me break down a day of eating. And, as my health mentor recommends, let's begin with yesterday. It's fresh in my mind, I can't take any of it back, and the "oh, I only did that today" comments are easy to target. 


Breakfast





Breakfast is extremely important. It has actually been an adjustment to get food in my system within 30 minutes of waking up. I never realized how long I actually waited until I fed my body that had been fasting throughout the night... An hour? Two? Not good.


Now, I try and eat as soon as I rise- Here is exactly what i do:


1. Make my herbalife formula 1 "healthy meal" shake (filling and hearty)
2. Eat a banana
3. Cup of green tea
4. multivitamin




Lean Protein Snack




Two to three hours later, I eat next. I always try to stay within that window throughout the day. I eat a small snack that mainly consists of lean protein. I love the Fage greek yogurt. Mixing the almonds into it tasted wonderful. 




Lunch





Again, two to three hours later, I eat lunch. I branched out today. I had lean peppered turkey breast slices with some avocado and pan grilled brusselsprouts bought from the local farmers market. 


And.. because I'm being completely honest... :)




(don't worry- not cutting out my favorite snack. just eating them more in moderation)


Lean Protein Snack




Time for shake #2 (again, two to three hours later). This is the same Formula 1 "Healthy Meal." Again, very hearty and filling. I love that I can keep this with me on the floor at work. 


Dinner





Dinner, again, is two to three hours later.


Dinner has stayed completely the same. I have not changed a thing. Ideally, dinner should consist of 1/3 lean protein (ex: turkey, fish) and 2/3 complex carbohydrates (ex: veggies, brown rice). I am probably not hitting that exactly but am coming close. The shakes will help balance the amounts out throughout the day.




So, at the end of the day, I am still eating a normal lunch and dinner. The only thing that has changed drastically is my breakfast. Before i was eating lots of toast, cream cheese, and eggs. Now, I am eating something I can bring to work with me, has the perfect amount of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients, and is just as filling and hearty. I honestly feel better for the change.


Not intimidating. Not a cleanse. Not a diet. 


I am staying at an equilibrium instead of simply cutting out food and becoming deficient like most diets would have someone do. My body is maintaining a steady balance and constantly fueling itself throughout the day. No periods of hunger, no fluctuating blood sugar levels, and less cravings of things I always snacked on before. 


My body feels more focused, more stable, and more energetic. Again, small celebration....!







No comments:

Post a Comment